If you have setup a blogging website or an E-Commerce one or any other of the kind using WordPress, and you have a lot of images on your webpage, then you must be thinking to scale down the images, not just to fit that image into some template, but also to optimize the speed of your webpage.
Why Should I Scale the Images?
Images play a key-role in elaborating your point and to attract the people to come to your website. And for that matter, a lot of bloggers and web developers generously use images in their websites. That’s why, images contribute to a huge amount of data over the internet. In most of the cases, the images you wish to display on your webpage need not to be of high quality, rather there intent is to provide a visual aid to your point. Thus, it is not only prudent to scale down those images, so as to relax the overall network bandwidth, but it is also a requirement to improve the loading speed of your webpage.
If your images are heavier in size, then they will require more data transfer per image, and that will unnecessarily increase the overhead on your website. So, scale down your images to optimize the speed and memory utilization of your website!
How to do it in WP?
If you are having your website in WordPress, then there is a good news for you that in WP there is an easier way to scale the images you have uploaded to your website. You do not need Photoshop or other graphics designing software to accomplish that. Following are 5 simple steps to scale the images:
- Go to the uploaded images from the ‘Media’ section, or through the ‘Featured Images’ section.
- A window will open like the following one, which would be having all the images you have uploaded in your website.
- Click on any of the image, an option reading ‘Edit Image’ will appear. Further, image related parameters are also displayed on the right hand side. If the resolution of the image is not as per your requirement, then go to the Edit option.
- Now, a new window will appear which contains your image on the left hand side with scaling as well as cropping options on the right hand side. As shown in the figure below:
- Enter the values to the scaling section. Remember, that the scaling can be done in a proportional manner. If you enter the horizontal value, WP will automatically generate the vertical value with respect to the proportion of the image. One more thing is that, images can be only scaled down. Further, WordPress recommends to scale the image before cropping or rotating it to get the best result.
WP brings ease and comfort to design, set up and optimize your website. i hope that this post is useful for all those who are looking to reduce the image data on their websites to improve their page speed and to optimize the memory utilization of the hosting server.